The Bracken Estates team is experienced in all matters relating to property letting, as well as commercial & residential property sales. We understand that renting a property out through a letting agent for the first time can be a little daunting, but we are here to guide you, so do not worry, as we have your back.
With this in mind, we look at the basic legal rights tenants have when renting a residential property in Ireland. You will not be an expert by reading to the end, but you will have a better idea of what you are able to do as a landlord and what you cannot, so let’s dive in.
What Your Tenant is Entitled to When Renting your Property.
As set down in the Residential Tenancies Act, when renting out a property through a letting agent or privately, your tenants have certain immutable rights, meaning they are entitled to:
- Peace and quiet & be able to enjoy exclusive enjoyment of the property. Should neighbours or other tenants be disturbing your tenants, they can ask them to cease and inform you. If this does not work, a formal complaint might be made.
- Certain minimum accommodation standards.
- A rent book.
- Your contact details as a landlord e.g., phone number, email, postal address.
- To be able to contact you or your property letting agent at a reasonable time.
- Only allow you to enter the property when permission is given, which always applies, except in an emergency.
- Reimbursement for repairs they carry out that fall under your responsibility.
- Have short-term visitors unless it is specifically prohibited in the tenancy agreement. If someone else is moving in, they must inform you.
- A certain period of notice from you that you are terminating the tenancy – this varies depending on how long they have been renting from you.
- 90 days’ notice that you are reviewing their rent.
- Refer disputes to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) without fear of penalties being imposed.
- A Building Energy Rating (BER), showing how energy efficient the property is, allowing them to make informed decisions.
Here to Assist You Every Step of the Way
To our landlords, we are the best letting agents Dublin has to offer and this is based on the support and advice we provide. We are always transparent about everything we do, and we are happy to help whenever we can with all your tenancy related issues.
If you’d like to know more about anything discussed here, you can either come and visit us at our office on Terenure Road East or check us out online at www.brackenestates.com.
Alternatively, if you would like to speak to us directly about rentals or anything to do with residential or commercial sales, simply call us on 01 4966 4444 and we will be happy to help.